Worth learning Ruby if not using Rails? -


So I took a quick look at Ruby a few days ago. At first I was very surprised by some such things which actually seem to make the programmer's life easier. (Use of block, object model, ...)

But then this is a big problem: no one is using Ruby without the rail! The #Ruby (-lang) channel is dead , people are only talking in #Riles

I want to be with Web for web development, there is no question, But

  • Really uses Ruby as a language for general purpose and not for web development?
  • There are Ruby (good) libraries for the "Offline" application?
  • It may be subjective, but should I just be living with Python for non-web scripting?

I do not want to know Ruby for knowing that this normal purpose portion is really dead

Best regards, Lama

I like Python for general scripting and calculation. I feel a little smoother to use Ruby, though Python has its market in non-web applications. There are some good sales points without the Ruby railway (note that I do not use the rail, I think this is a strange messy). Like GTK binding for Ruby is really amazing as it is surprising to create Hello World graphical applications in 5 lines ...

Another bad thing about Ruby is that at the moment, if it is slow with Python Your choice to know Ruby should really depend on your needs. Are you programming for fun / a hobby or are you trying to build commercial applications? Python is also generally accepted for commercial (at least with Ruby) ..


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

oracle - The fastest way to check if some records in a database table? -

php - multilevel menu with multilevel array -

jQuery UI: Datepicker month format -