VMime and odd "commercial" LGPL licensing? -


Greetings,

I'm looking for a MIME library, which is available under LGPL. After some googling, I found

  • First of all, they present under the terms of VMEM GPL, which is very clear.
  • Second, they provide VMEM under the "Commercial" license - LGPL.

They allow the use of the library under the terms of LGPL, but you

  • to pay "fee" to use the LGGL license
  • You will have to pay "fee" for each project for which you use this library.

This made me curious, and I started browsing the FSF site for more information about it, which states:

Does GPL want to charge me for downloading programs from my site?

Yes you can charge a fee to distribute a copy of the program. If you distribute binaries by downloading, you will have to provide "equal access" to download the source - hence downloading the source can not be higher than the fee for downloading binary.

I understand this, but they offer their downloads through SourceForge, so this can not be this fee.

Does GPL allow me somebody who receives the software, will I have to inform a fee and / or me?

Not really, in this way a necessity will make the program non-free. If people get a copy of a program, or if they have to specifically inform someone, then the program is not free. See the definition of free software.

GPL is a free software license, and therefore allows anyone to use it and even redistribute the software without having to pay the fee to do so. is.

Ah, suppose I have never browsed my website, and I used a package, I am using the library under the terms "General" LGPL , Not their "professional" type

I think the package appeared in Ubuntu stores, I can use it under the terms of LGPL, and link it to dynamic ownership code; Just like every other LGPL licensed software?

Then I came to:

If I distribute the GPLD software for a fee, then do I also need it for a fee? Make available to the public?

However, if someone pays your fees and receives a copy, then GPL gives them liberty without leaving it for the public or without fee. For example, someone can pay your fees, and then put a copy of it on a web site for the general public.

Any ideas?

This means that the Ubuntu package is "GPL" version, which does not include LGPL rules. Or how do I understand this?

"Ask the Lawyer" before.

IANAL

You have to pay "fee" for each project for this project.

If this is indeed LGPL, which is not technically true. You can license it for each project from the copyright holder and you can pay them every time or (if I remember LGPL correctly) you can license it for the first time, and then for each subsequent project You can license for yourself if you can get another LGPL licensee (for this software), you can license it from them.

This means that the Ubuntu package is "GPL" type, which is not included in the LGPL Terms

In the copyright file contained in the Ubuntu package, one of GPL The copy is not LGPL.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

oracle - The fastest way to check if some records in a database table? -

php - multilevel menu with multilevel array -

jQuery UI: Datepicker month format -